• Your application should be in writing.
• Your application should indicate that the information is sought under the Freedom of Information Act 2014.
• You should indicate if information is required in a particular format, e.g. photocopy, an electronic file, a portable usb key etc.
• You should give as much detail as possible to enable the Veterinary Council to identify the record/s you are seeking. If you have difficulty in identifying the precise records we will be happy to assist you in preparing your request.
• You may be required to prove your identity, especially when requesting personal information. You may, therefore, be asked to produce your passport, driving license or other form of identification.
• You should include a daytime telephone number so that you can be contacted if it is necessary to clarify details of your request.
• You should pay the prescribed fee (if applicable) by cheque or bank draft made payable to the Veterinary Council.
• The Veterinary Council is obliged to respond to your request within four weeks of the date of receiving your request.
Rights of Review and Appeal
The Act set out a series of exemptions to protect sensitive information where its disclosure may damage key interests of the State or third parties. Where the Veterinary Council invokes these provisions to withhold information, the decision may be appealed. Decisions in relation to deferral of access, charges, forms of access, etc. may also be the subject of appeal.
You may seek an internal review within the Veterinary Council if:
• You are dissatisfied with the initial response.
• You have not received a reply within four weeks of your initial application. This is deemed to be a refusal of your request and allows you to proceed to internal review.
Requests for internal review must be submitted within four weeks of the initial decision. The Veterinary Council must complete the review within three weeks and you will be notified in writing of the outcome. Internal reviews must normally be completed before an appeal is made to the Information Commissioner.
Requests for internal review should be submitted in writing to:
Veterinary Council of Ireland
53 Lansdowne Road
Dublin 4 DN04 NY39
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: +353 (0)1 6684402
Review by the Information Commissioner
If you are dissatisfied with the decision and review in relation to a Freedom of Information request to the Veterinary Council, an application for review may be made to the Information Commissioner:
Office of the Information Commissioner
18 Lower Leeson Street
Tel: +353 (0)1 639 5689
Locall: 1890 223 030
Fax: +353 (0)1 639 5674