The Veterinary Practice Act 2005 replaces the Veterinary Surgeon's Act 1931 and other legislation which has passed since then in relation to the regulation of the veterinary profession. The establishment day of the Veterinary Practice Act was the 1 January 2006.
Three relevant Statutory Instrument have been inacted since establishment day.
View related Irish Legislation and European Legislation below:-
- Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1931 (No 36 of 1931)
- Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1952 (No 18 of 1952)
- Veterinary Surgeons (Qualifying Degrees) Order, 1954 (SI No 85 of 1954)
- Veterinary Surgeons Act, 1960 (No 34 of 1960)
- Veterinary Surgeons Order, 1988 (SI No 66 of 1988)
- Veterinary Surgeons (Annual Fees) Order, 1997 (SI No 131 of 1997)
- Veterinary Practice Act 2005
- Veterinary Practice (Amendment) Act 2012
- S.I. No.745 of 2007
- Horse Racing Ireland Act 2016 (Section 19 transposes EU Directive 2013/55/EU and amends Section 43 and Section 95A of the Veterinary Practice Acts )
- Statutory Instruments
- European Communities (Recognition of Qualifications in Veterinary Medicine) Regulations, 1980 (SI No 391 of 1980)
- European Communities (Recognition of Qualifications in Veterinary Medicines) (Amendment) Regulations, 1982 (SI No 323 of 1982)
- European Communities (Recognition of Qualification in Veterinary Medicine) (Amendment) Regulations, 1987 (SI No 159 of 1987)
- European Communities (European Economic Area) (Recognition of Qualifications in Veterinary Medicine) Regulations, 1994 (SI No 268 of 1994)
- European Communities and Swiss Corporation Act 2001 (Commencement) Order, 2002 (SI No 195 of 2002)
- European Communities (Recognition of Qualifications in Veterinary Medicine) Regulations, 2003 (SI No 288 of 2003)
European Community Legislation
Council Directive of 18th December 1978 concerning the mutual recognition of diplomas, certificates and other evidence of formal qualifications in veterinary medicine, including measures to facilitate the effective exercise of the right of establishment and freedom to provide services (78/1026/EEC) as amended by Directive 81/1057/EEC.
Council Directive of 18th December 1978 concerning the co-ordination of provisions laid down by law, regulation or administrative action in respect of the activities of veterinary surgeons (78/1027/EEC).
Council Decision of 18th December 1978 setting up an Advisory Committee on Veterinary Training (78/1028/EEC). Council Recommendation of 18th December 1978 concerning nationals of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg who hold a diploma in veterinary medicine conferred in a third country (78/1029/EEC).
Council Directive 2001/19/EC of 14th May, 2001 amending Council Directives 78/1026/EEC and Council Directive 78/1027/EEC.
7 September 2005 Council Directive 2005/36EC of the European Parliament of the Council on the recognition of Professional Qualifications.
Transposed into Irish legislation on 9 March 2016 Council Directive 2013/55/EC amending Directive 2005/36/EC on the recognition of professional qualifications and Regulation (EU) No 1024/2012 on administrative cooperation through the Internal Market Information System.